Adventist Midwest Health
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Financial Advocate – Ambulatory Infusion Center – Maitland
at Adventist Midwest Health
Financial Advocate – Ambulatory Infusion Center – Maitland
Florida Hospital Maitland seeks to hire a Financial Advocate who will embrace our mission to extend the healing ministry of Christ.
Located north of Orlando in the community of Altamonte Springs, our facility is consistently named “Best Hospital” for overall quality, reputation, doctors and nurses by local residents. As the largest satellite campus within the Florida Hospital system, Florida Hospital Altamonte has been providing state-of-the-art healthcare to the community since 1973. The 398-bed hospital cares for more than 168,000 patients a year. We are proud to be revolutionizing health care with visionary leadership and world-class resources.
The IV Infusion Department works in a team orientated and faith based environment that promotes a very high level of quality of care. It provides evidence-based vascular access care for patients that include Intravenous (IV) Access, Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter (PICC) line placement & insertion, and dressing changes. The IV Infusion Department supports the nursing units, collaborates with the RNs, medical staff, and educates patients and their family members on the procedure in a compassionate patient and family centered care environment. It also supports and upholds quality standards of a Magnet designated hospital and Patient Bill of Rights and practices under the supervision of the Director of Pharmacy.
Monday through Friday; 8a – 5p
Financial Advocate performs detailed, in-house reviews, bedside and/or phone interviews to determine if patient is a viable candidate for federal, state, and/or county medical or disability assistance and, if so, assists the patient/guarantor with the application process for any assistance programs. This assistance includes the necessary investigative, field, and administrative work needed to assist the patient in meeting eligibility requirements for Disability, Medicaid, or other applicable county, federal, or state programs if appropriate. Adheres to Florida Hospital Corporate Compliance Plan and to all rules and regulations of all applicable local, state and federal agencies and accrediting bodies. Actively participates in outstanding customer service and accepts responsibility in maintaining relationships that are equally respectful to all.
Knowledge, Skills, Education, & Experience Required:
- Substantive knowledge of the Medical Assistance application process
- Understanding of HIPAA privacy rules and adroit ability to use discretion when discussing patient related information that is confidential in nature as needed to perform duties
- Working knowledge of Microsoft programs and familiarity with database programs
- Ability to operate general office equipment such as computers, facsimiles, copiers, scanners
- Skill in speaking clearly and distinctly using appropriate vocabulary and grammar to obtain the information necessary to execute job responsibilities
- Skill in reading documents written in standard English text such as administrative policy and procedures manuals
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing
- Ability to follow complex instructions and procedures, with a close attention to detail
- Ability to effectively learn and perform multiple tasks, and organize work in a systematic and efficient fashion
- Ability to be responsive to ever-changing matrix of hospital needs and act accordingly
- Availability of reliable transportation for scheduled field visits
- Successful completion of Financial Advocate training course (approx. 40-50 hours) with minimum of 80% proficiency on final exam
- Minimum of two (2) years of college or two (2) years business, social services, health care, or related experience or comparable combination of education, related experience, and/or training
- Bachelor's degree in Social Services, Health Science, or a related field AND (preferred)
- Minimum of five (5) years working experience with DCF, SSA or AHCA in eligibility enrollment programs (preferred)
- Minimum of two (2) years related experience in Oncology or Specialty Pharmacy (Cost center 4997 only) (preferred)
Licensure, Certification, or Registration Required:
Demonstrates through behavior Florida Hospital's Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship and Teamwork as outlined in the organization's Performance Excellence Program
- Protects the financial standing of Florida Hospital by performing methodical and through financial assessments of our uninsured patients and/or under insured patients assisting in applications for federal, state and local programs that pay on behalf of the patient.
- Screens patients and/or patient's representative to determine potential eligibility for Third Party Resources. Analyzes their income, assets, household composition, and physical conditions, while applying government rules and regulations that will assist in presenting a complete case to the respective Government Funded Health Program, i.e. SSA, DCF, SSI, Medicare, Disability, etc.
- Maintains timely and effective communication with patient to insure complete understanding of Health Program's processes. Meets with patient or the patient's representatives either in hospital or other location as designated by supervisor to apply for financial assistance programs. Explains to patients and other entities the eligibility requirements, application process and verification requirements for applicable programs. Facilitates the application process when appropriate for the patient by assisting the patient in completing the application, scheduling appointment interviews and obtaining required verifications.
- Represents patients that cannot represent themselves at the offices of Immigration Services, Social Security Administration, Vital Statistics, and Attorney offices, due to their illness. Maintains communication with Adoption Agencies, Foster Care Program, and Adult Care programs for patients whose cases have been forwarded to these organizations and still pending with no decision. Responsible for timely intervention and escalating to the manager for awareness and assistance. Maintains, updates and has thorough knowledge of policies and procedures, rules, regulations, and technical objectives as they are used by DCF, SSI, SSA, AHCA, Medicare, Benefit Recovery, Child Support Enforcement, Foster Care, Adult Protection, Bureau of Victim Compensation, and Labor Dept; as they apply to patients that are undocumented, legal alien, disabled, children, adopted, emancipated. Completes knowledge of technical requirements needed for a hearing on denied cases and how to overturn decision. Ensures knowledge is shared with Case Management and other key members in the revenue cycle department.
- Meets minimum conversion goals based upon the opportunity to ensure protection of Florida Hospital's financial standing. Meets the minimum standard of accounts and dollars by staying involved with application process from start to decision of all applications. Monitors patient accounts to ensure appropriate processing timeframes are met.
- Enters all account notes and status codes on all applications entered on web. Documents account activity as required by policies and procedures in order to support account dispositions. Receives approvals from DCF, and enters notes. Submits accurate information so accounts can be billed appropriately. Responsible for escalating high dollar accounts, aged accounts, and share of cost accounts that exceed a certain period of time to the manager for intervention.
- Adheres to compliance and security regulations including HIPAA by accessing and releasing PHI as minimally necessary to perform duties and according to procedures.
- Responsible for working with external agencies for those who do not cooperate timely. Maintains proper notes for the referral and is responsible to ensure all internal efforts were exhausted prior to the referral to our business partners.
- Responsible for accurately documenting time record for all time worked and maintaining the work schedule as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
If you want to be a part of a team that is dedicated to delivering the highest quality in patient care, we invite you to explore the Financial Advocate opportunity with Florida Hospital Maitland and apply online today.
Financial Advocate, Ambulatory Infusion Center, Maitland